Retail Product & Technology
The Retail Product & Technology division was formed in May 2020, and is responsible for powering brand, retail, and cross-platform product and technology capabilities that create customer-centric and locally relevant travel experiences across all of Expedia Group consumer brands including Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Vrbo, Orbitz, ebookers, CheapTickets, CarRentals and Wotif. Our lines of business - Air, Transportation and Activities - work to deeply understand the needs of our travelers and the business goals for our partners to find opportunities that create value for both. Retail Product & Technology works in close partnership with other Expedia Group teams to coordinate delivery of our unique value propositions through every touch point in the customer journey.
Head of Design Operations
As the Head of Design Operations, you will Provide agility to the whole CX organization through centralized tools, systems and services that enhance speed and quality of execution. This role will work closely with our Head of Design and Design Leadership Team to evolve our operating model and raise the bar for our practice. You will be responsible for driving cross-org design operations, design team culture, and evolving processes, systems, and programs that enable the CX org to scale with strength and build E2E world-class customer, partner, and agent experiences in a creative, focused environment.
What you’ll do:
- Provide program management leadership and operational support throughout our design organization and across partner teams by increasing communication and connection points, streamlining the design process, and driving design excellence, coordinating the work of UX Designers, Researchers, Product Managers, and Engineers.
- Partner with Design leadership across org boundaries to create the business practices and operational infrastructure that frees our teams to deliver great customer experiences, build programs that engage and develop our team, and build connections with the community in meaningful ways.
- Build a Design & Research Operations team that supports our ability to connect with customers, actively engages our internal/external community, and embeds in our product teams to improve the way we work and how work gets done.
- Responsible for driving the design team culture, evolving processes and systems and programs that enable the team to scale with strength and build exemplary brand and product experiences in a creative, focused environment
- Define and drive strategy for CX portfolio planning and management, impact measurement, budget programming, headcount forecasting, and geographic expansion of Design presence.
- Drive governance processes and communication for Design Leadership in ongoing staff meetings, portfolio oversight, and metrics/budget tracking.
- Play an integral role in cross-functional strategic planning efforts to understand and bridge business priorities with Design output.
- Measure, improve, and maintain Design impact metrics, ensuring they align with company objectives and effectively communicate the value of Design on the business.
- Manage resources and vendor program, ensuring allocation for optimal impact and advocating for additional resources that align with the growth of the rest of the company.
- Advise on organization-wide strategy and planning
- Lead strategic initiatives in partnership with cross functional working groups
- Establish and grow the capabilities of a new Design & Research Operations team
- Act as liaison and evangelize design with partner groups – HR, Recruiting, Finance, Legal, IT
- Set and communicate the UX and experience roadmap, defining top-level milestones, influencing partner teams' priorities. Working with Design Directors, Product Managers, and Engineering Managers to define priorities and scope for new domains and services
- Create process for identifying, prioritizing and staffing work towards efficiency
- Work closely with the CX Leadership Team to drive, develop and execute on the vision, mandate, and operating model of CX group, drive, develop, and execute the strategic direction of the CX group, develop and establish effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, provide oversight, mentoring, coaching and people management, communication, hiring and recruitment, staff onboarding, employee engagement, performance management, talent management, and succession planning
Who you are:
- Managed a growing team in a rapidly scaling, complex organization
- Strategic, critical thinker, and have strong creative direction skills
- Experience methodically developing the skills and careers of your team members
- Excel at creating environments that motivate and inspire people to do their best work
- Able to facilitate the right balance between not enough process (chaos) and too much (bureaucracy)
- You are relentlessly user-focused
- You have 10+ years of people management experience, specifically having led a Design Operations and/or Research Operations team
- You are extraordinarily skilled in both written and spoken communication
- Your best work is done in a highly collaborative way
- You can find a meaningful balance when optimizing for speed, quality, and doing risky, but interesting work
- 10+ years in digital product design
- Deeply familiar with the needs of designers, researchers and writers.
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are a global travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and bring the world within reach – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.