Expedia Group is seeking a Director of Data Science. In this role, you will lead our large and growing an organization and drive product and platform decision-making using cutting machine learning and AI technology. You will play a key role in driving programmatic initiatives throughout every aspect of the company.
This role requires you to have extraordinary interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence and the ability to inspire and engage multi-functional teams in a complex and rapidly evolving environment. You lead by example, encouraging and inspiring your teams to build creative solutions at scale. You’ll be expected to foster a culture of trust, living and breathing our values of: Scientific Mindset, Openness, One Team, Participation and Mastery.
What you’ll do:
• Scale the Data Science team to the next level, attracting and mentoring top talent
• Work across the broader Expedia Group technology leadership to define and optimize our data science strategy
• Coach, mentor, and develop a deeply talented team of data scientists, machine learning engineers.
• You will generate a huge return on investment by using Machine Learning techniques to reduce frictions for travelers and provide personalized travel experience
• Define and promote Data Science Strategies throughout our business, including but not limited to:
• Natural language processing
• Recommendation system
• Computer vision and image processing
• Knowledge graph
Who you are:
• A Senior Data Scientist with 5+ years of experience building data platforms and statistical models.
• An experienced Data Science leader (3+ years) building and leading data science teams
• Advanced knowledge in Artificial Intelligence; Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Deep Learning, etc.
• Ability to quickly develop, foster and influence relationships as well as navigate large complex organizations
• Ability to strategically guide and influence teams to apply the right machine learning, statistical or econometric model to solve Expedia's most important business challenges
• Experience in a variety of machine learning techniques, with a practical understanding of their real-world advantages/drawbacks
• Extensive coding expertise in Python, R, Spark, etc.
• Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Machine learning or similar quantitative field
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them to tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.