Hotwire is seeking a Director of Technology Cloud Infrastructure & Platforms & Site. This person will lead the Infrastructure, Devops, Data & SRE teams at Hotwire. Additionally, be our senior leader on the ground in India overseeing the engineering delivery, growth and retention of the engineering teams.
This position requires a strong leader with the rare ability to balance innovation and experimentation of new approaches with an execution focus on key existing business drivers. The candidate will have deep technical knowledge, big data skills, build a quality engineering practice and use data and technology to tackle real-world business problems. He/She must showcase skills to lead high throughput high scale environments and introduce new products into these environments in a fleet and agile away.
The position will be a key member of the technical leadership team for Hotwire and will also serve as a liaison for the larger ecosystem of Expedia, Inc.
About the role
As the Director of Engineering, you will be responsible for engineering excellence, technical roadmaps and resource allocations for your teams; directly managing a team of technical experts, people managers and technical program managers.
• Building the Hotwire engineering teams in India.
• Helping to build the roadmap for Data, Infrastructure, BI, and SRE teams.
• Responsible for ensuring data is delivered on time with high quality
• Create custom alerts, dashboards and reports needed for the development, engineering, and operations teams
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop a comprehensive understanding of the key drivers and opportunities within the business.
• Run priorities and clearly communicate expectations to department heads and the executive team.
• Work closely with Data Engineering team to drive the vision, strategy, and execution of the company-wide Business Intelligence function.
• Leadership of the core technology organization; recruiting and retaining the best talent while strengthening morale and cohesion across the teams
In addition to these core pillars, the new executive should:
• Proficiency with at least 1 enterprise warehouse stack such as Exadata, Terradata
• Proven experience with Hadoop, Spark, Storm or Talend
• Ability to fully understand business goals and metrics and translate requirements into actionable analysis.
• Well-developed ability to assess trends and insight from multiple data sets and large amounts of data, using text and statistical analytics, advanced Excel and other statistical and analytics solutions.
• Detail-oriented and results driven with a passion for producing high-quality deliverables.
• Demonstrated expertise in data visualization tools and business intelligence platforms.
• Experience with either of Tableau/Looker or other reporting tools implementation
• Demonstrated expertise in building and mentoring high performing teams
• Have the ability to turn data into insight, and to think creatively.
• Provide thought leadership to a variety of team members including working across marketing, sales, customer service, operations, and finance. Work with the broader technology team at Expedia, Inc. to drive common platforms and new services
• Apply tools, methodologies for the improvement of the product development process, and to facilitate simple fast and cloud-based releases
• Ensure product architecture and implementation is maintainable and extendible to accommodate future development
• Meet financial objectives by forecasting requirements; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions
• Provide high-level technical contributions to customer relationships and foster services focused engineering environment
• Over 12 years of professional experience in software development across both development and program management with enterprise-scale applications; experience leading Test engineers desired
• Experience leading 35+ member technical teams
• Demonstrated success defining and delivering against product roadmaps
• Able to work across organization boundaries and matrix reporting structure
• Able to present and communicate technical concepts in a clear and concise manner
• E-Commerce/Travel background preferred
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, supported by excellent written and oral communication
• Exhibit a strong work ethic and technical leadership
• BS in Computer Science/ Engineering or equivalent education and experience required
• MS in Computer Science/ Engineering or equivalent education and experience preferred
• Equivalent work experience can be substituted for educational requirements.
Professional traits needed for Expedia Group leaders
• Demonstrates excellent judgment
• Inspires and leads great technologists
• Passionately strives for better; is never satisfied with the status quo
• Ability to dive deep and is consistently knowledgeable of the details of technology and the business
• Has high expectations for the team and encourages innovation and thought-leadership
• Has passion and conviction, and expects the same from others
• Strong results orientation
• Thinks big and small
• Smart colleagues who love working in teams
• Respect for your life outside of work. While we work hard, Expedia employees have flexibility to pursue their passions and spend time with loved ones
• A work environment where you can grow your career and hone your leadership skills. We invest in our employees’ learning, and prioritize making Expedia a great place to work
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.